In fact, doctors prescribe Synthroid not only for the treatment of underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism), but also for nodular goiter, diffuse goiter (thyroid gland enlargement), after thyroid surgery, and so on. Anyway, the rules for taking the drug for such patients are the same. Today I will tell you how to take Synthroid properly, and which diet to choose if you have hypothyroidism.
Proper use of Synthroid for hypothyroidism
If your doctor prescribes you Synthroid for hypothyroidism, you should take the medicine correctly. Here are the main tips on using this highly effective medicine.
- Take Synthroid in the morning, before meals, 20-30 minutes before eating.
- If you forgot to take the pill when you woke up, you can take it later, 3-4 hours after eating.
- Take the tablet with clear water – no juices, soda, milk or coffee.
- Do not change the dose of Synthroid on your own, without consulting your doctor.
- In particular, such a consultation might be necessary if you notice severe side effects in the form of a rapid heartbeat, sweating, and irritability.
Answers to some questions on the use of Synthroid
I would like to answer some of the most common questions about the correct intake of Synthroid for underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism).
“What happens if I forget to take the pill?”
- In fact, nothing bad, so do not worry. You can take the tablet later, 3-4 hours after eating, or half an hour before the next meal, and even the next day. At the same time, forgetting to take Synthroid more than twice a week (not in a row!) is undesirable.
“Why do doctors insist on taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism in the morning, immediately after waking up?”
- The action of the drug is associated with the biological cycles of the production of thyroid hormones. According to a study, if patients take Synthroid at night, the concentration of the active substance becomes insufficient by the morning.
“Why can't patients with hypothyroidism eat cereal products for breakfast?”
- The fact is that some products reduce the bioavailability of Synthroid. So, the treatment becomes less effective. The perfect “side dish” for Synthroid is high-protein foods. For example, you can eat boiled eggs.
Nutrition in patients with thyroid disease
I also want to give some tips on how should patients with thyroid diseases eat while taking Synthroid.
- As I said, consume a lot of protein, especially for breakfast.
- Eat vegetables. A great idea is to add protein products even to your salad. For example, mind using boiled chicken or turkey (preferably a dietary breast meat), tuna or salmon, low-fat cheese, or chickpeas.
- Also, eat nuts. The best are almonds.
- If you like protein shakes, keep in mind that you should take Synthroid for hypothyroidism exclusively with water. Drink your favorite cocktail not sooner than half an hour after taking the pill. In addition, patients with diseases of the thyroid gland should stick to pea protein instead of any other type.
- During treatment, better limit the intake of dairy products. However, you can sometimes eat cheese or Greek yogurt.